courses

Lions Municipal Golf Course

Lions Municipal Golf Course is associated with distinguished golfers and is a respectable piece of golf course architecture. But, most importantly, the course impacted national history with respect to race relations in public recreational spaces as the first municipal golf course in the South to desegregate in late 1950. 

The USGA has formally recognized the desegregation at Lions Municipal Golf Course as a milestone for the game of golf, along with leading scholars and prominent individuals who include: 

1. Ben Crenshaw, two-time Masters Champion and member of the World Golf Hall of Fame; 

2. Marvin Dawkins, Professor of Sociology, University of Miami, co-author of African American 
Golfers during the Jim Crow Era (Greenwood Publishing Group, 2000); 

3. Lane Demas, Associate Professor of History, Central Michigan, The Game of Privilege: An African American History of Golf (under contract, UNC Press, John Hope Franklin Series in African American History and Culture); 

4. Glenda Gilmore, the C. Vann Woodward Chair in History at Yale University; 

5. Renea Hicks, prominent constitutional and civil rights lawyer and former Solicitor, Office of the Attorney General, State of Texas; 

6. Jacqueline Jones, Chair of the History Department and Walter Prescott Webb Chair in History at the University of Texas; 

7. Sanford Levinson, W. St. John Garwood Chair at the University of Texas Law School and prominent constitutional scholar; 

8. Robert J. Robertson, author of Fair Ways: How Six Black Golfers Won Civil Rights in Beaumont, Texas (Texas A&M Press 2005); 

9. Paul Stekler, Chair of the Radio/Television/Film Department at the University of Texas at Austin.

10. Congressman Lloyd Doggett, 35th District, Texas

11. Congressman G.K. Butterfield, 1st District, North Carolina

12. Congressman Eddie Bernice Johnson, 30th District, Texas

13. Congressman James E. Clyburn, 6th District, South Carolina

In 2016, Lions Municipal was added to the National Register of Historic Places and to the National Trust for Historic Preservation's list of America's 11 Most Endangered Historic Places.


Location: Austin, Texas

Year Built: 1924

Year Closed: N/A

Austin Country Club

Local, state, and national events held in the past at Austin Country Club:
• Five Texas State Amateurs: 1910,1928,1953,1961,1975, 2011
• 2010 Texas State Mid-Am Tournament
• Seven Morris Williams (University Of Texas) Intercollegiates 2001-2008
• Seventy-Nine Harvey Penick Invitationals dating back to 1935
• Numerous Southern Texas PGA Section events
• AJGA Tom Kite Junior Tournament
• Numerous Hannon Society Cup Matches and Hannon Junior Tournaments
• Four PGA TOUR World Golf Championships 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Awards such as top 100 courses in America or the State of Texas:
• 4th Best Remodel by Golf Digest 2009
• Top 100 Golf Courses across Texas repeat nominee, most recently named by:
-The Dallas Morning News (in 2017 #13, in 2016 #19)
-Golf Digest (2017-18 #12)

PGA or LPGA Tour players that list Austin Country Club as their home course while playing on their respective tours:
• Tom Kite, Bob Estes (PGA TOUR Players)

Famous amateur golfers that are members of the course:
• Michael Cooper, Brian Noonan, Anna Morales, Wehman Hopke



City: Austin, Texas

Course Opened: 1899

Course Closed: N/A

Memorial Park Golf Course

In 1917, Camp Logan was established along the banks of the Buffalo Bayou, approximately five miles from downtown Houston, and a year later the camp’s hospital administrator constructed a nine-hole golf course with sand greens to help injured soldiers recuperate in both body and spirit.  In 1923, due to a Houston Chronicle supporting the Camp’s legacy and honor the soldiers who trained on those grounds, the Hogg family donated title to 1500 acres to the city.  In 1924, Memorial Park was consecrated.

Ten years later the Workers Progress Administration chose the construction of a golf course for its first government sponsored project in Houston. Workers descended on Memorial Park under the supervision of a visionary Princeton graduate, John Bredemus, later known as the Father of Texas Golf as the designer for courses such as Bredemus designed golf courses such as Colonial Country Club, Glen Garden Golf & Country Club and Ridglea Country Club-North Course. In addition to Memorial Park Bredemus designed the layouts for Houston’s Pine Forest, BraeBurn and Westwood Country Clubs, yet considered Memorial Park one of his finest accomplishments.

Babe Didrikson Zaharias graced Memorial Park’s fairways along with other notable golfers. With assistance of Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Byron Nelson and Johnny Weismuller, Jimmy Demaret hosted the 1943 War Bonds Drive at the course.
Great Britain’s Bobby Locke won The 1947 Houston Open played at Memorial Park; Ben Hogan tied for eighth place. The Houston Open return to Memorial Park in 1951 and remained there for twelve years. Arnold Palmer, Jack Burke, Cary Middlecoff, Jay Hebert and Bob Charles are counted among this tournament’s champions. Other players competing, but coming up short included Jack Nicklaus, Ken Venturi, Julius Boros and Roberto DeVicenzo.

Houston’s most popular public golf course succumbed to the ravages of time and the tread of countless municipal golfers. Once again The Bayou City’s citizens rallied to preserve the hallowed grounds of affordable public golf and creatively funded an extensive renovation of the golf course with a mandate to remain true to John Bredemus’ original design. The course reopened in 1995 to rave reviews and within a few years hosted the NCAA Division II Men’s and Women’s Golf Championship. 

The Dallas Morning News currently ranks Memorial Park in Texas’ Top Fifty Public Courses and Number 6 in the state’s Top Twenty-Five Economy Golf Courses. Over sixty-five thousand rounds a year are played at the golf course. This municipal facility hosts Houston’s City Amateur Men’s, Women’s and Senior’s tournaments in the early fall. In an effort to nurture junior golf the course conducts several junior tournaments and offers summer camps to introduce novice players to the game and course etiquette. 
The silhouette of a soldier wearing a campaign-hat is a prominent figure on the golf course logo. This homage to Camp Logan and our veterans’ sacrifices dovetails with Memorial Park’s commitment to maintaining a top-tier facility for affordable public golf and unwavering support of Junior Golf.


City: Houston, Texas

Course Opened: July, 1936

Course Closed: N/A


Brackenridge Park Golf Course

Brackenridge Park Golf Course is a historic golf course in San Antonio, Texas and the oldest 18-hole public golf course in Texas. It opened for play in 1916 and was the first inductee into the Texas Golf Hall of Fame. Brackenridge Park was the original site of the Texas Open which held the tournament for most years between 1922-1959. Located in historic Brackenridge Park, the course is one of six municipal golf courses managed by the non-profit management group, the Alamo City Golf Trail.

Location

George Washington Brackenridge donated 100-plus acres of land to the city to create Brackenridge Park, the park in which the present day Brackenridge Park Golf Course is located.

Ray Lambert's appointment as City Parks Commissioner in 1915 began a new era for Brackenridge Park. Lambert inherited a parks system that was underfunded and growing quickly. He immediately asked for almost a threefold increase in budget (to $60,000), and earmarked much of this increase for the further development of Brackenridge Park. One of Lambert's major projects was the construction of a public golf course. A public course had been advocated by golf enthusiasts for many years as a tourist attraction for the City. There were three other courses in San Antonio at that time, all private. In October 1915, it was reported that the 18-hole Brackenridge Park golf course was under construction. Noted course designer A.W. Tillinghast was hired to design and build the golf course. A clubhouse was also proposed, as well as a swimming hole "so that after the game the players may enjoy a plunge in the delightful waters of the San Antonio River."

Currently the historic golf course remains in operation near downtown, and within close proximity to the San Antonio Zoo and Aquarium. San Antonio landmarks, the Witte Museum and San Antonio Japanese Tea Gardens, are also located nearby.

The Clubhouse

The original clubhouse was a small one-story building that burned down in 1920. In 1922, the City hired Ralph H. Cameron to design and build a new clubhouse for the golf course and the Texas Open. $8,000 was raised by the City for clubhouse construction. Cameron designed other notable San Antonio buildings, including the Scottish Rite Cathedral (1923), Neo-Gothic Medical Arts Building (1925), the Frost Brothers Store (1930), and the U.S. Post Office and Court House (1937).

Borglum Studio

The Borglum Studio (Oct. 2012)

An adjacent building to the Brackenridge Park Golf Clubhouse once served as the working studio for artist Gutzon Borglum, the sculptor who created the heads of the U.S. Presidents on Mount Rushmore. The structure was built in 1885 from local limestone and timbers to serve as a water pumping station. In 1905, the pump house became obsolete with the drilling of artisan wells into the Edwards Aquifer. Around the abandoned pump house, the untamed land was sculpted into a golf course. In Reid Meyers' self-published book, "The Ghosts of Old Brack," he spotlights Gutzon Borglum's arrival in San Antonio in 1924 and his rental of the old pump house. Through the windows, he likely would have seen golfers warming up. "That was what made it nice as an artist studio, the setting and light, the large space," says San Antonio historian Maria Watson Pfeiffer.

After Borglum's use of the studio passed, it served as the creative space of other noted regional artists, and art students of the Wiite and Fort Sam Houston.

Today, the Borglum Studio looks out on the 17th hole of the golf course.

The Schrievers

U.S. Air Force General Bernard Adolph Schriever grew up in a small house near the 12th green of the historic layout of Brackenridge Park. He and his younger brother, Gerhardt, were best friends with Tod Menefee and the Schriever's mother (Elizabeth) operated a small but popular sandwich stand for the golfers in the back yard. Bernard won the State Junior and the San Antonio City Golf Championship twice. He captained the Texas A&M golf team for two years before entering the army. He is mostly known for his role in the air force's space and missile program, and managing the nuclear arsenal during the Cold War. In 2011, Bernard was inducted into the Texas Golf Hall of Fame posthumously (died in 2005). His 97-year-old brother Gerhardt Schriever was there to accept the honor.

Notable records

In 1939, Harold "Jug" McSpaden posted the course record of 59 during an exhibition match played with Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan, and Paul Runyan.

Mike Souchak set a PGA Tour 72-hole record of 257 at the 1955 Texas Open. The record held until 2001.

Three of the first six 60s shot in PGA Tour history came at Brackenridge Park. Al Brosch was the first to do it, with an 11-under during the third round of the 1951 Texas Open. In 1954, Ted Kroll matched Brosch, with a 60 of his own, also during the third round of the Texas Open. The following year, Souchak opened the Texas Open with a 60 (27-33) on his way to the 257 that gave him the title that season.

Texas Open

The Texas Open was held at Brackenridge Park in: 1922-1926, 1929-1932, 1934, 1939-1940, 1950-1955, and 1957-1959. No tournament was played in 1933 and 1935-1938. The Texas Open was the first professional golf tournament in Texas and one of the first events to be played during the winter. The first Open held in 1922 had a $5,000 purse, the largest purse of any golf tournament at the time. In 1960, the San Antonio Golf Association moved the Texas Open to Oak Hills Country Club, another Tillinghast designed course.

Texas Golf Hall of Fame

The Texas Golf Walk of Fame

The Texas Golf Hall of Fame is now headquartered at Brackenridge Park Golf Course after closing in The Woodlands, Texas in the late 1990's.Several upgrades have been added to the golf course to accommodate The Texas Golf Hall of Fame including a new pavilion to host events and The Texas Golf Walk of Fame. The Texas Golf Walk of Fame connects the Brackenridge Clubhouse and Borglum Studio together with exhibit monuments dedicated to Hall of Fame members. The Cavenders, best known for their sprawling auto sales business, offered $50,000 to underwrite the cost of the Walk of Fame. The Walk of Fame is designed as a garden area that connects the clubhouse to the studio near the 17th green. The family's donation was in honor of their grandfather, legendary longtime San Antonio Country Club head pro Tod Menefee. Their mother, Betty Cavender, also partnered in the grant.

Cedar Crest Country Club

Cedar Crest Park, formerly Cedar Crest Country Club, is a public golf course in Dallas, Texas. South of downtown, the course was designed by A. W. Tillinghast and was the site of the tenth PGA Championship in 1927, won by Walter Hagen, his fourth consecutive PGA title and fifth overall, the ninth of his eleven major championships. It also hosted theDallas Open in 1926, won by Macdonald Smith.

Established in 1916 and opened in 1919, the course is where a young Harry Cooper honed his skills. The country club was closed in 1929, changed ownership, and then was purchased by the city in 1946. It hosted the United Golf Association Negro National Open in 1954, and the USGA's Public Links later that year.

A new $2 million clubhouse was built in 2001 and the course was renovated in 2004 by D. A. Weibring.

 

Reference: Wikipedia : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_Crest_Park

Northwood Club

In 1946, two of the nation's leading golf course architects -- William H. Diddel and Perry Maxwell -- were invited to Dallas to look over the land the newly-formed Northwood Club had purchased from oilman Buddy Fogelson and his wife, actress Greer Garson.  

The members chose Bill Diddel, the Indiana-based designer of nearly 300 courses from 1921 until 1974.  During those 53 years, Diddel’s work included seven courses listed by Golf Digest as among America’s All-Time Toughest Courses including Kenwood in Cincinnati and Shawnee Inn in Pennsylvania.  

Diddel’s mark was seen on courses including the Country Club of Indianapolis in 1923, Melbourne (Florida) Golf & Country Club (1926) Country Club of Little Rock (1929), Wichita Country Club in 1950 and Louisville Country Club in 1955.  

He was seen as a master at routing a golf course, using the natural terrain to provide definition and strategy. His green designs were creative, difficult yet fair; they were integral in the strategy of each hole as well as the entire sequence of holes.   

At the top level of American architects, Diddel joined colleagues Donald Ross, Robert Trent Jones, Sr., Perry Maxwell and nine other preeminent golf course architects as a founder of The American Society of Golf Course Architects (ASGCA) in 1947.  He worked with a number of great architects, but his foremost famous protégés were Pete and Alice Dye.  

Bill Diddel died at age 101 in 1985.  

The Northwood Club hosted the 1952 United States Open Championship, won by Julius Boros.

Dallas Country Club

The history of Dallas Country Club begins with a few friends playing the game in a field near the corner of Oak Lawn and Lemmon Avenues in 1895.  

Two early participants – Richard E. Potter and Courtenay Wellesley were ex-patriot employees of a British company called Texas Land & Mortgage.  Another was Henry L. Edwards, a transplanted Welsh cotton broker, who loved golf and competition almost as much as he loved Dallas.  Mr. Edwards is a Pioneer member of the Texas Golf Hall of Fame and is widely considered to be one of the founders of organized golf in Texas.
The Club was officially founded in 1896, which makes it the oldest golf course in our Registry.
    

Little by little, the group grew as interested bystanders became enthusiastic players and the member-hosts opened their course to visitors for several tournaments, including a state event in 1903 and the Texas Golf Association State Championship in 1906.  
By 1908, Dallas had doubled its population.  Hints of a marvelous new suburb north of downtown circulated among the town folk and the Club members felt that a move to Highland Park was in order.   
By 1909, Dallas Country Club was comfortable at its new location and by 1912, an 18-hole golf course had been laid out by recognized architect Tom Bendelow.
    

The course hosted a visit from British stars Harry Vardon and Ted Ray in 1913, the Southern Amateur Championship in 1916, an exhibition by Bobby Jones and Perry Adair in 1918, the Western Amateur Championship in 1950, the Women’s Texas Golf Association in 1920 and 1934 and the first Texas Golf Association championship in 1906, followed by title tilts in 1912, 1915, 1921, 1949, 1956 and 2006. The game’s professionals have also visited DCC, during the Victory Open in 1943 and the Salesmanship Club sponsored Dallas Open in 1945.
    

In 1948, the Club had a major course renovation done by Ralph Plummer.  Architect John Fought did a subsequent renovation of the course that opened for play in May 2011 and a new clubhouse was opened in February 2012.
    

Among the well-known Texas golfers that  have cut their competitive teeth at DCC over the years are fellow 2014 Inductee Charles Dexter, George N. Aldredge, L. R., Collett, Jack Munger, Hugh Halsell, and Texas Golf Hall of Famers Gus Moreland, David “Spec” Goldman, and 2012 Inductee, Don Addington.  Among the female contingent are Curtis Cup Team member Nancy Hager Hale and WTGA runner-up Lyda Hill.